Monday, February 28, 2011

The OSCARS 2011

I don't know about any of my readers, but I thought that the Academy Awards last night was frightfully boring. Perhaps it is just my imagination, but it seems like 2010 wasn't really that great of a year for movies. I personally thought that Inception with Leo DiCaprio was the best movie last year and so did the yahoo survey of us regular people. Let's be honest, though. The Academy who actually votes on the nominees is and has always seemed to be biased in the favor of artsy-fartsy period piece DRAMA. I think that science fiction is often overlooked, except in the cases of Avatar (for breaking all-time box office records and being a hell of a fine movie, even if the story is a little bit recycled from other sources) and The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King which won best picture.
Here are a list of the MAJOR awards from last night:

BEST PICTURE
The King's Speech
BEST DIRECTOR
Tom Hooper, The King's Speech
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Melissa Leo, The Fighter
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Christian BaleThe Fighter
BEST ACTRESS
Natalie PortmanBlack Swan
BEST ACTOR
Colin FirthThe King's Speech
I think the major highlight of the night was Melissa Leo dropping the F bomb during her speech. I enjoyed the co-hosting of James Franco and Anne Hathaway. James looked and acted like he was stoned, but I can easily forgive that, after all, it doesn't always have to be an old crooner being the host; I loved the Bob Hope segment by Billy Crystal though.
I was glad to see that Toy Story 3 won for best animated film. Again, I was disappointed that Inception only won Oscars for sound mixing and sound editing, then for visual effects and cinematography. The big winner was the King's Speech. I think Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, and Helena Bonham Carter are all good actors in their own right, but to me the movie looks rather dull. I might check it out once it comes onto video, but it is NOT one I will be rushing out to the theater to see anytime soon. The next film I want to see in the theater I will take my children to is Rango. 
In my opinion, Johnny Depp is one of the BEST actors. He is funny and easily capable of performing a wide variety of roles. Maybe next year he will win an Oscar?
This has been the Quiet Mouse. See you at the movies!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

American Conservatism

Once we recognize that Libertarianism is essentially neo-feudalism, and that it is now the dominant conservative philosophy of the Republica...