Thursday, May 31, 2012

GARBAGE, TRASH, and other FUNK

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen! Welcome back!
The blog title says so much... the end...

Just kidding, you all know me better than that. 
It pains me the lazy, selfish attitude of the human population today. I personally feel overwhelmed at times because I can visually see the world turning into a polluted cesspool when I look out my window, when I awaken, and when I go to bed at the end of the day. I'm NOT saying I'm the ultimate clean freak, but trashing our homes, communities and planet are just yet another extreme, as is being a clean freak. I don't particularly want my life to be inside a clean microcosm like the bubble boy, but I DO get upset at the blatant throwing of trash onto the ground, inside the home and out. I mean, actually, how difficult is it to throw a piece of trash away? We throw away so many other things, really, how difficult is it to land that piece of refuse into the proper  trash receptacle? I often find when I take the trash out, that the area around the dumpster is littered with trash, just mere feet or inches from the dumpster or recycling bins. WTF?!?
EVERY SINGLE DAY my heart BREAKS and my confidence in my fellow man/woman crumbles, breaking down MUCH FASTER than the trash thrown into the landfills. 
Even worse are the rafts of trash bigger than the state of TEXAS building up in our oceans destroying the ecosystem and environment. Species of animals and fish go extinct DAILY and we act like that's how it's supposed to be, as if it's somehow okay. This tragedy has gotten even worse as MILLIONS of TONS of trash from Japan are littering the Pacific ocean since the tsunami are heading toward the coast of the U.S. and Canada, some of which has already hit landfall, a toxic mess of trash, waste, and debris. I want to cry, especially since I live in Washington, a Pacific coastal state and I would love to take my kids to enjoy the ocean... however, I think we'll have to settle for a local lake or river, as I do not feel safe letting them swim in the ocean of toxic water... who knows what will drift ashore? I remember when I lived in San Diego, during my time in the NAVY, where it was unsafe to swim on the local beaches because the Mexican government did not have the regulations on medical waste disposal that the U.S. has... needless to say, toxic medical waste washed up from Mexico and onto American beaches making swimming at the beach impossible at certain times. The problem has only gotten WORSE since then and no one seems to care. No one seems to understand that if we destroy the oceans, then the entire ecosystem that is interdependent on each piece of the puzzle working properly, then the whole thing falls apart and WE will eventually die as well because of it. 
We, as a human culture have to get over this apathy, laziness, and thought that "someone else will clean that up". There is NO ONE ELSE. ONLY US. WE are the problem, but WE are also the cure. WE CAN CHANGE. It's NEVER TOO LATE to start making amends and trying our hardest to do better. I know we can. I know that it is possible. People just have to start caring... that's just difficult for many to do as they are faced daily with the struggle just to barely survive in this chaotic world in which we live. 
I have no long term solution with what to do with the trash besides to stop producing so much of it... we could make plastics that are bio-degradable from hemp oil instead of petroleum! We could make our cars run on better fuel that last longer and are more environmentally friendly. We could stop being lazy and take the extra few minutes a day to clean our area around ourselves for the sake of friends, family, loved ones, and future generations so they too don't have to live in filth. We must look PAST the physical confinements of our human body. We must look PAST the forest to see the trees, the oceans, the rivers, plants, animals, rocks... we're all part of the same energy field, all part of God, the universe, and the cosmos. 
I'm just sorry that all too many people cannot see past their own selfish, egotistical, petty little lives, identified with the SELF, rather than seeing the bigger picture that EVERYTHING is connected, like a spider's web and we are ALL ONE and the SAME, a collection of inorganic and organic molecules... what makes us different and special is our consciousness... let's put it to good use, shall we?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment

American Conservatism

Once we recognize that Libertarianism is essentially neo-feudalism, and that it is now the dominant conservative philosophy of the Republica...