Thursday, January 13, 2011

A Lesson In Acceptance

"Since we cannot get what we like, let us LIKE what we can get."
I'm not sure where I picked up this quote, cause I just wrote it down on a piece of paper. I believe it is from one of my school textbooks, but I failed to write down the voice of this quote, or a reference source. For that I do apologize in advance.

What drives us in this life?
This is the Quiet Mouse. Welcome to my blog. Some have joined me before as I have tried to analyze the world I see and live among. For those are virgin to my rants: welcome, I hope you are here with an open mind.

To the question above... What is it that drives us and motivates us?
Is it family or friends?
Church or state?
Or some other form of inner passion that ignites the fuel for being?
I do not know what motivates others. I have blogged recently about what is currently motivating me.
But for this blog I would like to digress a little, turn back the clock if you will, and reflect on the lessons learned from the past.
Many years ago and still to this day, I have fought with materialism. Although my habits have changed slightly, it occurs to me that my life has been rather fortunate and blessed. It hasn't always been easy, but there have been a few more good days than bad ones, I would say. I believe that it takes adversity for humans to have a stark contrast and to fully appreciate the "good times".
I recall many people in my past stressing upon me to accept what I have in life rather than to constantly pine for something I don't have. The grass ISN"T always greener on the other side of the fence, I have found. Sometimes it is...
I reflect upon this because I see it as a small microcosm of the societal issue that we have as Americans in this day and age. Through my reading, especially with the Intercultural Communication class I am taking presently, I have read further thought provoking information. It occurs to me that the reason there is this urge is continually buy and buy things that we don't really need is partly due to the CONSTANT media advertisement that we just have to have the newest, fastest, smartest little toys to play with. I'll admit I am a movie junkie. I love film. I like watching movies, especially on blu-ray. Another reason we feel the need to be materialistic is to fill an emotional void inside us. In this country we have an ironic paradox in thought process... we all sense that a change is coming, yet most of us plan nothing. We all can FEEL the need for togetherness and unity, but we over-emphasize the need for INDIVIDUALITY and our own "STUFF".
In my life I am trying to find acceptance for the things I cannot control. I am trying to find happiness in the little things rather than TRYING to find happiness in objects that are innate and have no control over MY life, but what I give them. Happiness is really just a human construct. A word to summarize the small amounts of joy and pleasure we receive. Happiness used to be a thing, an idea that came from within. Ancient people didn't have all the modern conveniences that we do, but despite all the advantages that we have, too many of us are constantly UNHAPPY... so we fill the void with cell phones, text messages, and social websites like Face Book and Twitter (as if our every movement throughout the day needs to be meticulously documented.
"Hey, I'm taking a shit now!" LMAO! We fill that void also with television, laptop computers and anything and everything BUT love and togetherness.

It is a slow process of recovery from a materialistic ADDICTION. It takes patience and time. I am learning the former and have plenty of the latter. I still feel the urge to buy stuff, but don't feel as bad when it's baking supplies or books that will grow my knowledge, a truly priceless thing.
I have been introduced lately to a new idea for me of "radical acceptance". Here is a quick overview from ehow.com


Radical acceptance is the practice of accepting life on its own terms and finding effective strategies to cope with whatever is happening. It doesn't mean being passive, but accepting "what is" with the understanding that you have the power of choice. Practicing radical acceptance is a choice that can ease stress and depression and enhance your overall quality of life.


To me this means taking things for granted is a no no. Its not just about accepting, but also about taking responsibility. I am happy to have my fellow readers and truth-seekers with me on this cosmic journey. Thank you all who have taken the time to read this, and other blogs I have written. The spread of a positive message isn't always my best suited talent, but I will continue to try... I just need some more followers and more feedback so I can continue to improve my blogs.
This has been the Quiet Mouse.
Peace. Love. Respect.
Good night and good luck!

1 comment:

  1. Well stated, QM. I am trying to adopt this way of thinking as well. I definitely have been learning not to take things for granted anymore, because in the last year, I lost a lot. It makes me appreciate more than ever, the little I do have, and makes me love the people in my life that much more. Now I am truly focused on improving my life because no one is going to do it for me. I got myself into my own mess, and it's time to get out.

    ReplyDelete

American Conservatism

Once we recognize that Libertarianism is essentially neo-feudalism, and that it is now the dominant conservative philosophy of the Republica...