Thursday, April 5, 2018

Movie Reviews #2

Namaste and welcome my friends, family, and fellow knowledge seekers to my second posting of my personal movie reviews. As you might know, I'm a huge cinephile and fan of the arts.
Image result for movie night
Today I'm going to review a variety of films. Let's get started.
Image result for thor ragnarok
Thor: Ragnarok
This movie was by far the best of the Thor trilogy, but it added a special green element that was missing from the previous films: Hulk. This movie felt as much like Hulk's movie as it did Thor's. Witty levity by the additions of The Grand master, Jeff Goldblum, and the cameos by Sam Neil and Matt Damon made this movie much more light- hearted than its predecessors.
On the QM scale I'll give it a 94%.
Image result for black panther
Black Panther
Marvel scored again, big time, with this instant classic that tackles tough issues like death, colonialism, isolationism, and a family torn apart due to different ideologies. In this film we get a much larger glimpse of Wakanda than we saw at the end of Captain America: Civil War. We, as fans, also get to see Bucky Barnes again, a.k.a. White Wolf, as well as Okoye and Shuri, who are a welcome addition to the cast and lead the MCU into the Infinity War.
I'll give this movie, easily, a 97% on the QM scale.
Image result for big lebowski
The Big Lebowski
I know this isn't a new film, by far, but I did watch it again recently and thought I'd give my 10 cent opinion on this Coen brothers classic. Jeff Bridges is the laid back paragon of dudeism with his pals John Goodman and Steve Buscemi in a case of missing identity, kidnapping, and nihilism. This movie is funny, witty, and clever from start to finish and must immediately go on your to-watch list if you haven't seen it.  "Cause everyone knows you don't fuck with the Jesus."
QM scale rating of 98%.
Image result for dogma
Dogma
The recent health scare by Kevin Smith made me want to watch his movies once again. Amazon is super fast, so we ordered this cult classic for a night of levity and humor. The late Alan Rickman was an actor second to none. Even though the cast was littered with talent like the late George Carlin, Jason Lee, and Chris Rock, among others, to me Alan Rickman and Jay and Silent Bob really made this movie. Jason Mewes is a funny dude. He was good in Clerks too.
On the QM scale I'll give it a rating of 89% due to Ben Afleck and the weird blank crotch shot part.
Image result for the last jedi
Star Wars: the Last Jedi
I know this movie has been out for a bit and will be on blue ray, dvd, and 4k soon. Original fans from the late 70's grew up with the Star Wars saga developed out of chronological order, so naturally many didn't care for the prequels or the newest additions in episodes 7 the Force Awakens and 8 the Last Jedi. I for one, am here to dispel any hateful banter by saying that Episode 8 was every bit as good as Empire Strikes Back. The saga has evolved to now include Rogue One and this summer we will see Solo, the Star Wars spin-off origins movie. Overall fantastic film worth adding to your personal collection.
On the QM scale I'll give it a rating of 98%
Image result for downsizing
Downsizing
Matt Damon has gotten a bad rep for acting, partly due to the guys who make South Park making fun of him. I definitely think he's the better actor between he and Ben Affleck for sure, lol. Anywho, Downsizing is a fun, emotional movie about following your heart, ecological awareness, and finding love in the unlikeliest of places. Overall a superb family movie.
On the QM scale I'll give it a rating of 93%
Image result for murder on the orient express
Murder on the Orient Express
What can I say about the acting of Kenneth Branagh. I grew up reading the murder mysteries of Agatha Christie and watching David Suchet play the adorable, enigmatic Hercule Poirot on the BBC and PBS. Branagh does an excellent job in his role of the detective, surrounded by an all star studded cast with the likes of Daisy Ridley, Judy Dench, Penelope Cruz, Josh Gadd, Michelle Pfifer, and Johnny Depp, among others. This movie will keep you on the edge of your seat wondering WHO-DONE-IT...
On the QM scale I'll give it a rating of 89%
Image result for jumanji
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
Kevin Hart, Jack Black, and the Rock are a comedic all-star team, hands down. This time the game is played out in a video game format forcing the players to work together using strength, brains, and a little ass kicking to escape Jumanji. This movie is great for a family movie night or just kicking back solo for a good laugh.
On the QM scale I'll give it a rating of 86%
Image result for justice league
Justice League
So I finally saw it. I told my readers I would report back when I did. Admittedly I liked it better than I initially thought that I would. There are, however, a lot of things that I thought held it back. I think DC is trying too hard to compete with the MCU. I honestly believe that if they tried harder to be original and not just follow the leader, they would need putting out a much better product. They had all the tools for success: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Cyborg, Flash, and Aquaman... but still, even with the help of Joss Whedon couldn't pull together a story that didn't feel rushed and incomplete. After millions in re-shoots and a poor marketing campaign, this movie was a basic flop, by critic and money making standards. Overall could have been a much better movie, but the studio exec's keep meddling and either firing or having their directors quit.
On the QM scale I'll give it a rating of 82%
Image result for see you at the movies
Well my fellow cinephiles, this is it for today. I hope you enjoy these films as much as I have and of course I'll see you at the movies. This has been the one and only Quiet Mouse. Peace be with you and enjoy the rest of your day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

American Conservatism

Once we recognize that Libertarianism is essentially neo-feudalism, and that it is now the dominant conservative philosophy of the Republica...